what now...

Things were beginning to settle somewhat, sleep was non existent and David was a good baby thus far.  I had begin to communicate with David's father and of course keep record of every text, phone call or letter I received.  I did not know this man and had to remain the neutral party since he had not the best relationship with my folks, OK, my dad and we were still on the brink of "what-ifs" in regards to David's future. 

The girl's fell back into their schedules relatively quickly and helped out with David as much as they could and of course were on night watch since I worked nights. I had new appointments with the infectious disease doctor for David's follow-up and continued care that were coming up and I had to make sure I made all my court appointments that were set as well to stay in compliance with court orders.  This was a lot and way too much to stop and even think about, it was like I was in robot mode, it all needed to be done!  I had made little milestones to this point and gotten David off the Medi-Cal and added onto his father's insurance since he held a union job and it would suite David much better.  His father was contributing a small amount of money as well as buying cases of formula for David since it was a special prescription.

David was home for a couple of months now and he seemed to not be feeling well as I was getting ready for work, I had to go and my youngest was home with him this evening and I had a good friend on standby who said she could help if my daughter needed it.  I was just a phone call away and work was still pretty good about the whole situation.  Once he went to sleep he would be o.k. and on that note I kissed them both and I left for work, to be home about 0400 to make sure everyone was tucked in their beds nice and snug.

I had checked in with my daughter a few times during the night as she seemed to think he was getting worse, he was crying, not sleeping at all and now not eating either.  My friend had called a few hours later and said she was going over to get him an take him to her house, my daughter had called her crying and tired.  I was worried and told her I would come home right now, she told me he would be fine with her and I could just go home and sleep for a few hours and she would bring him home late morning.  I was hesitant but help at this point was welcome even when I was to stubborn to ask in the first place! 
I was about ready to get off and called to check in, my friend told me he was breathing funny and she had got him calmed down but he still had not eaten a whole lot, he had a slight fever and she said he sounded funny.  I told her I would be there in about 20 minutes and left work right on time and rushed over to her house to find this little boy in distress, his breathing was erratic and when he heard me his big ole' eyes focused on me as they begged me for help!  I thanked her for her help and keeping him for me and told her that I was going to go straight to Valley Children's Hospital and get him checked out, sleep was NOT an option at this point.  It was too early to call my folks or the girl's so I would get him seen and we would be home before anyone was awake and he would be just fine...

I arrived at the hospital and was seen almost immediately since I had such a small package and it was obvious he was in much distress by the time we arrived.  I was certain it was asthma as I had seen this same behavior in my sister before, but he was much much smaller and had not been officially diagnosed with asthma to this point.  The Dr came into the room and immediately seemed worried about his rhythms and placed him on oxygen, I was allowed to hold him the whole time, let them TRY to pry him from my arms.  The Dr confirmed his fever and ordered a chest x-ray to rule out pneumonia as well but let me know he would be admitted this morning for further observation due to his age and size **sigh**, I started to ball, the nurse comforted me and I could not even begin to tell her what we had been through over the last 2 months!!

We were sent off for the chest x-ray, returned to the room and the Dr came in and confirmed he had the beginnings of pneumonia so we would definitely be staying this day and quite possibly a few more, they set the motions for us to be put on a floor in a solo room and I made the daunting phone calls since it was now at least 0630 or so and I still had half a brain left about me.


No comments:

Post a Comment