4.17.2014

the time has come . . .

...he questions me from time to time and they seem to be as innocent as he is but lately they have gotten a little more intense, and I think it is just me feeling the pressure and him being curious as well as very observant!

I was closing down shop, getting ready for bed .. getting some extra love & hugs from my little man when I started to take my nightly medication ..
 
Me-getting meds out of the cupboard (David’s aid case falls)
D-OH I have been looking for those…
Me-what son?
D-my hearing aids mom…
Me-you have? Since when?
D-since I can’t hear, duh! He is cracking himself up…I’m supposed to wear it like I do at school…
Me-I know, I’ve been telling you that (he interrupts me) HERE IT COMES~
D-Mom, why did god make me like this?
Me-like what son?
D-you know, special…
Me-he made you very special, you are a very special little boy…(he has THAT look)
D-NO MOM, tell me, please tell me why he made me so I can’t hear??!!
Me-speechless... But O.K. …god makes everyone special, he just choose to make you extra special…
D-what do you call me?
Me-I call you my little angel… (he’s confused) & we are obviously NOT on the same page…
D-NO MOM, what do you call it because I can’t hear?? Like I am disappointed errrr something?!
Me-are you trying to say disability?
D-YES, that is what they say I have at school, because I am “death” in my ear and I have to wear the hearing aid in class to hear my teachers…
Me-(mama bear mode now) do people make fun of you at school??
D-no, my teachers say it is OK to have a disability that is why they help me in my class and I see Mr. R on Monday’s and get treats…
Me-I love you son…& I am very proud of you (that is all I could muster up after this 15 minute talk)


I guess the talks will come whether I/we are prepared or not…I just wish I had a script and not like I need to know what to tell him because I will never lie to him or hide the truth, I may talk on "his" terms of understanding but I would never lead him to believe something that was or was not what it seemed or for that fact was meant to be! 

No comments:

Post a Comment